Friday, July 27, 2012

Got a minute? Make a muffin.

Without a doubt my biggest habit is simplification, so when I find something that is satisfying, good for you and simple, I must try and share.

First I must warn you, this is a low carb, high fiber snack made with flax seed meal and if you're scrunching up your nose at the idea of flax seed meal don't shoot it down yet. Flax seed has multiple benefits including reducing bad cholesterol, it can reduce the risk of stroke, certain cancers and oh yes, ladies it will make you regular (cause no woman wants to talk about constipation).

Let's get started on the adventure of making a chocolate mug muffin...

Step 1:  Get your favorite mug (trust me shaped mugs can be fun with this one). Add 1 tsp (a pat) of butter (not margarine), melt in the microwave till liquid.


Step 2: Add one egg and a 1/4 tsp of vanilla syrup and as Michael Jackson once said "Beat It" until it is all one blend.


Step 3:  Add in 1/4 cup of flax seed meal (I did say this was a healthy snack right??), then a tablespoon of unsweetened chocolate powder, a 1/4 tsp of baking soda and one packet of Stevia (of Splenda...depending on your health preference)....and do the encore of  "Beat It."


Step 4:  Put it in the micowave for 60 seconds (I personally go 70 seconds, because I like a little more texture to mine). *Ding* and turn it upside down on a flat surface and presto! I let it cool for a little bit cause the edges harden up a bit, but then look, it's a muffin.


Ok so it looks like nothing you'd buy at Starbucks, I get that. The health options are important though. It's gluten free and high in fiber. 1/4 cup of flax seed meal is 120 calories, the egg is 70 and 1 tablespoon of Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder is 10 calories. So 200 calories for a healthy, low carb alternative. I can tell you I have craved these for 3 days in row and I can honestly say I have made it for dinner on the run and felt full until morning.

Stop scrunching your nose and ask me to make one for you. With a muffin in a minute, we would have even more time to fellowship.

Back to the cave for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment